I eat my breakfast either on my way to work or at work, and this breakfast lasts me a good 3 hours before I gobble down my lunch. For a while, my breakfast used to be a tall glass of milk (Horlicks to be precise) along with a big bad banana. Like many other things in my life, I hate routine in my breakfast as well and soon enough, I got tired of the lack of variety. That is when I chanced upon this smoothie (though, I prefer to call it milk shake) and absolutely love it – well, for now, atleast. This is a Date-nut-apple milk shake and so far, it has been bye-bye banana.
Making this smoothie is very simple, all you need is a wee bit of discipline. Discipline, as you need to soak dates, apple and almond overnight in milk, alternatively, I guess you can soak them in bulk and store in refrigerator, take it out as and when needed and blend it, I use my trusted Sumeet mixie for this.
My concoction goes as follows:
- Soak3-4 pitted dates in 2 -3 tablespoons of milk.
- Add chopped apples to the date-milk mixture. Make sure to clean apple well and remove the skin, if you are not using organic apples.
- Soak 10-12 almonds in warm water for about 15 mins, peel skin and add it to the date-apple-milk mixture.
- Let it sit overnight and blend it well, without adding additional milk in your blender.
- Add more milk to make it into a milk shake consistency and blend it again.
- Pour it into a travel mug and you have a healthy, nourishing, ful-filling breakfast on the go.
Do give it a shot and let me know what you think. Get creative, add figs or other dried fruits or pistachios to the mix to jazz it up. Oh, and while you are at it, please do share your breakfast routine.